Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013

To the many people I love,
Every week in Drayton Valley has been an adventure so far. This last week was no exception. In fact, I would venture to say that this week was a week of Miracles! Not to mention we moved into our new apartment finally. It's a beauty! I feel like I'm living in a palace. It's a two bedroom apartment and it has a kitchen and a shower that actually works :) We use our extra bedroom for our "Study". We finally feel like we're missionaries again and it's been a lot easier to get back into a routine.
The focus of my week however had to do with a 18 year old guy I mentioned 3 weeks ago. Below is a refresher of meeting him.
"Thursday we had a really neat experience. We went to lunch at Subway and as we we're waiting in line a guy in front of us [Dallin] said, "So, how long have you been on your missions?" This was a young guy we thought looked in his 20s. Turns out he is 18 and a less active member from BC who is working in the oil industry out here. He is super nice and offered to buy our lunch (first time that has ever happened to me as a missionary.) Anyway we talked to him at Subway for about an hour and he's thinking about coming back to church. He is amazing! I know we were meant to be there and run into him. It's great how much our Heavenly Father is in the details of our lives. We really connected with him and he really opened up to us."
Well, since then we have been trying to get a hold of him, but since he worked in the Oil industry it isn't the easiest. Wednesday night we got a text from him that was pretty exciting. "Hey Sisters! This is Dallin, I just want to let you both know that I am going to rejoin the church! I have prayed and I want to repent. I will attend church this Sunday in Drayton Valley so I will see you then :) " When I saw that I was elated. Well, the next day was a day full of Miracles. We met with our Investigator Robert in Evansburg. Our Relief Society President Sister Seely came with us. Evansburg is about 40 km from Drayton Valley. Now Alberta winters can be pretty bipolar. The day before -40C but Thursday turned out to be around 2C. This is a problem because it means the roads can get pretty icy. As we were headed back to Drayton (Sister Randall driving, Sister Seely in the back seat, and myself in the front seat) we saw a truck pulling a trailer, headed in the opposite direction of us, start to lose control. We were headed right for them (they were only about 50 feet away). As the trailer jackknifed, coming at us at perpendicular rather than parallel. I have to admit I was concerned but calm at the same time. I heard a voice very calmly and firm say, "Go into the ditch." Just then Sister Randall calmly turned off the road into the ditch (about 15 feet away from the truck). Later I asked Sister Randall if she heard that voice and she hadn't heard a voice, but felt impressed to head for the ditch. It was either the Spirit or Sister Seely, but either way it protected us. Hitting the snow almost felt like we were on Splash Mountain Canada Style. There was so much snow and boy did it go EVERYWHERE! The car finally stopped, everyone in our car safe and alive, we took a deep breath realizing that we could have died. We got out of the car to go check on everyone else. The snow was pretty deep (to the top of my boots). The way the car was situated I couldn't get out of my door and had to climb over the driver's seat. The truck that lost control was on the other side of the road about 15+ feet north of where we ended up. They were alive and we were alive. The road was quite icy. Everyone walking on the road was sliding all over the place. We waited about an hour for the tow truck. I got to sit in the back of an RCMP truck to fill out my report. It was all quite an adventure. After helping us out the Police hurried off to a roll over accident about 2 Kms up from us. Back on the road we drove past where the other vehicle rolled as we drove past my heart dropped. 'That's Dallin's truck' the thought came to me. Immediately I started praying that if that was Dallin, he'd be alright. We planned on calling him later that night to make sure he was alright. Just before we got into our last appointment our phone rang, it was Dallin! "Hey Sisters it's Dallin." "Hey Dallin, we've been thinking about you all day and were just about to call you. Is everything alright?" "No actually. I hit some black ice and rolled my truck. I was calling to see if I could get a ride to church on Sunday." It was Dallin! Turns out he spun out, rolled his truck and walked away from it without a scratch. I know this wasn't a coincidence. God definitely puts us in people's lives at the right time for a reason.
Thursday night, while trying to fall asleep, my mind reviewed what all had happened that day. I was certain of two things. One God puts us in people's lives for a reason and two we have angels watching over us. In the middle of the night I awoke to an impression, "Dallin is a prospective Elder!" I sat up in bed, overjoyed with the idea. As a branch we have a goal to help 5 prospective Elders receive the Melchezidek Priesthood by the end of February. I felt very impressed that Dallin would be one of them.
Sunday rolled around and Dallin came to church! We got him a ride with Brother and Sister Kyle. It was so exciting to see Dallin again. We hadn't seen him since we first met at Subway. Being Fast and Testimony meeting, Dallin was the first to get up and bear his testimony. It was amazing!!! He talked about his journey, meeting us sisters, and reading his scriptures for the first time in 2 years. He said, "Knowing the missionaries has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I know God is aware of me and loves me. I plan on turning my life around, going on a mission and get married in the temple." Later Dallin told us that we are angels God sent and that he will never forget us. He is so amazing!!! I'm so grateful that I've been a part of this miracle. Brother Bowie from the High Council bore his testimony and said, " We are seeing miracles in this branch." I agree! I know that's true! I love the work of the Lord!
Love Always,
Sister Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment