Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27, 2012

Dearest Family and Friends,
I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Millwoods YSA Ward. Brother Chris Keene was baptized on Saturday!!! I feel like a proud parent. :) Seriously, that was one of the neatest Baptisms I have been a part of. I need to back up a little. So, the week of anyone's baptism seems to come with some additional opposition. Chris is such a strong person, but Satan tried to attack him in anyway he could. Tuesday evening we got a call from Chris explaining that the guy who took him in when he first moved to Edmonton totally flipped out and kicked him out. He had no place to go and was going to live in his car for the next couple weeks until he could find a place come September. We went over and helped him pack up the few items he had. We found a place for him to stay with some guys in the ward and it turns out they actually have an empty room for Chris to rent. So, it turned out to be a blessing. Chris has had such high spirits through it all. Every trial that comes his way just strengthens his faith. He wasn't discouraged at all. He said, "Heavenly Father has made everything work out so far, he'll do it again." Chris was beaming at his baptism. Jen (his girlfriend) spoke on the Gift of the Holy Ghost, her mom spoke on Baptism, and her stepdad baptized and confirmed him. It was so neat. Chris even cried :). It was really cool to see the difference between the pictures we took before his baptism and then after. The change is definitely apparent. The gospel really has had a great effect on him. It's been such a blessing to witness it. For a baptism gift, Sister Roberts and I made him a journal (covered in pictures of Christ, temples, and us from teaching him). We also found a sticker that said, "Sister Missionaries make me happy" which he absolutely loved. After Chris' baptism and confirmation I had the thought come to mind, "I can go home now. I found my "friend." I can't describe the feeling I have after seeing Chris make those covenants. It was almost as if the reason I came on a mission has been accomplished. However, it makes me want to find more people and work hard until the very end.
This week I also got the opportunity to go on exchanges with Sister Westover. She is amazing!!! I would say we are best of friends and we haven't even been companions (which is probably why we get a long so well ha ha ). It was a great opportunity to work with her. Also, our investigator Raj is progressing so well. He came to church for the third time and is reading the scriptures morning and night. He says that he can't get enough of them. He is truly hungering and thirsting after righteousness.
Well, I don't have much time. This is the last week of this transfer. It's so crazy how quickly time flies. I'll let you know next week if there are any changes. I love you all. I encourage each of you to share your testimony this next Sunday in Fast and Testimony meeting. You never know who needs to hear what you have to say.
 
Sister Kuroki, Sister Thompson, Sister Westover, and Sister Nash on Sister Nash's birthday. Gotta love DQ!!!
#1 Sister Thompson, Chris, and Sister Roberts with Chris in his whites.
Sister Roberts, Baptized Chris, and Sister Thompson. Notice how he physically looks different :) It's cool!!
 Brother and Sister Carter (Jen's Mom and Stepdad), Jen, Chris, Sister Thompson and Sister Roberts after Chris received the Gift of the Holy Ghost. He was beaming. :)
 
Love Forever,
Sister Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment