Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012

Dearest Family and Friends whom I love,
What an AMAZING Week we had last week. Best week of the mission so far (but then again each week just keeps getting better.) Sister Roberts and I got 27 LESSONS!!!! The most I've gotten so far. That was pretty exciting. We worked really hard and we even had Zone conference (which took a day of our week.) I love accomplishing goals. It's the best!
Zone Conference was wonderful (as always). President Campbell talked a lot about Real Growth and Mormon.org. They are really pushing Mormon.org as a way to do missionary work. I have a profile so if you want to check it out you can http://mormon.org/me/5039/ If you don't already have a profile GET ONE!!!!! It's a great way for non-members to find people like themselves who are members of the church. Also at Zone conference we were asked to prepare a 2 1/2 minute talk on Listening to the Spirit. Of course I was the only Sister asked to share my talk and for the first time that I can remember I was super nervous speaking in front of people. I think it was because everyone listening to me was a missionary and super amazing. It turned out well though. We also had interviews with President. He is so great and I love each time I get to counsel with him. It also feels good to know your Mission President is proud of you and has no concerns. He is amazing and I know that I was meant to serve under him.
We are really pushing our ward mission plan. Part of teaching our plan is giving our "Spiritual Emergency Preparedness Kits" they include a copy of the Book of Mormon, Plan of Salvation and Restoration Pamphlets and 3 pass-along cards. We invite our members to take the challenge and keep the kit in their car or backpack and then we're following up next week. It's been received really well and it's cool to see how many people are already doing missionary work. This ward has tons of potential and I'm excited to be here.
We had a really neat lesson with a girl in our ward, Sheila. She is amazing, but has been struggling for a while. It was great to see that the Spirit uses us to testify and strengthen others. It was cool to recognize that I was following the Spirit as we helped her with her concerns. I love lessons like that when everyone comes out edified. Doctrine and Covenants 50:22 (Look it up)
Our Canada was surprisingly a busy one. The Fourth of July is definitely a bigger thing in the States than Canada Day, but their were still fireworks and carnivals. At church, our Investigator Zhang bore his testimony. We were not expecting that at all. It was great though. Really funny too. He is from China and there are some fun cultural differences. Well he said, "I never knew that we had a soul or a spirit. I used to think that people were like computers, but then I realized computers could multi-task." That got a good laugh. It was neat to hear him say, "I can't say I have a testimony, but I can say I have half a testimony. I love this church. I remember when the missionaries first told me that God had a plan for me and I know that is true." He then told everyone that he knows how to Fortune Tell. Ha ha I didn't know that! :) When he was bearing his testimony I felt like a proud momma and then when he said the Fortune telling part I realized how it probably felt for my parents when I bore my testimony or spoke in church and said something kind of silly. It's a great memory though. Also, Zhang was wanting to come up with a English name. He couldn't decide on one so he was asking us to help him out. We thought about it for a while and came up with 3 options and gave them to him. He said he didn't want a normal English name, but something unique. So, the 3 options were... Kip..............Jarom (from the Book of Mormon)................... and the last one he really liked and picked was................................................JIMMER!!! :D So now I'm "Teaching me a Jimmer!" ha ha ha he really really really liked it. I told him if he ever goes to Utah he will be super popular. :)
I got to teach Temple Prep this Sunday too. That was really neat. I loved it. It was great and I realized that I really like teaching people.... I might think of it for a future career. We'll see though. It was neat to be able to help others prepare for the temple. After Church we were able to teach our new Investigator Jackie. Her sister is a member in Grande Prairie and she is amazing! It was great to answer some of her concerns. She has met with Elders before, but she never knew there were Sister Missionaries. We really connected and I think that is exactly what she needs, Sisters. I can't wait to continue to help gain a testimony. We had Canada Day dinner at our Ward Mission Leader's house. Mouse Ribs! :) ha ha JK they were teasing us and said that's what we were eating. We also went to another member's house for cake and ice cream. It was her birthday (Cosette) It was great to connect with her and she that she doesn't like having a birthday on a National Holiday either. It's going to be weird tomorrow. My first "Normal" (well, as normal as it gets being a missionary) Birthday. I'm quite excited.
Well, I love you all so much. Continue to be a good example, share your testimony, and live the Gospel. The Church is True!!!!
Love Always,
Sister Thompson


P.S. Attached pictures: #1 Sister Thompson trying to get people to "Stop and listen to our message!" (super small stop sign found in Beaumont). #2 Zone Conference for Millwoods and Riverbend Zones #3 The Biggest leaf I've ever seen!!! I have no idea what plant this is. It's like hafe my size! Gotta love the tropical plants of Alberta ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment