Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18, 2012

Dearest Family and Friends,

So this pastweek was crazy! Tons of changes and exciting stuff. As you know I am now serving in Millwoods YSA with Sister Roberts and can I just say she is amazing!!! I love her so much! She is absolutely hilarious. We have had so many funny times already together. She makes me laugh so much. I'm also down to timed computer times so sorry if my emails aren't as long anymore.
On Monday and Tuesday it was a lot of saying "See ya later" to all the wonderful people of the Innisfail area. I am sure going to miss every single one of them so much. I also hit my 9 months on Thursday! Crazy! I can not believe I have been a missionary for 9 months already. It's crazy how quickly time flies when you are serving the Lord.
9 Month Picture!! It's tradition for Sister's to take a Prego picture at 9 months ha ha hilarious sorry if it's a little blurry
Sister Westover and Sister Thompson at 9 Months!!! Ha ha

 I found out Thursday morning that a dear friend/ sister in the Innisfail ward passed away that morning, Sister Gudim. She was in her 90's and was absolutely amazing. We would visit her twice a week and she was wonderful. I will miss her, but am so grateful she was a part of my life.
Coming into YSA is quite different. On Saturday we had a baptism. Kris Schneider is the newest member of the Millwoods YSA ward. It was very exciting and I look forward to teaching him the new member lessons.
Kris' Baptism. Sadly we didn't have time to get a picture before in his whites.

We also got to meet with one of our investigators named Zhang (sounds like Jong). He is from China and really nice. We set a baptismal date with him for July 14th. Church was defintely different from Family Wards (so quiet) I felt kind of out of place and like I was back in my Provo ward. That will take some getting used to, but overall I'm excited to work with those in this area.
Sister Roberts and I did some finding. We knocked on one door and a young man answered. He was semi-interested and we gave him a card and pamphlet. Well, just as we were about to leave I said, "One last question. How old are you?" "23." "Are you single?" He looked at me like I was hitting on him or something. "I have a girlfriend..." "Oh Great! Well, we have a congregation of unmarried adults 18-30 that meet together and you and your girlfriend are welcome to come." He thanked us and we went on our way. Sister Roberts and I got a good laugh as we walked away. Ha ha I wasn't trying to be awkward, but it kind of came out a little creeper. Now it's a new joke with us. About an hour later we ran into the Elders serving in Strathcona (they were walking so we stopped and talked to them). As we were talking someone drove pass and yelled out the window, "Witness the Jehovah!" We laughed and then the Elders said, "That's the second time that's happened today." Ha ha gotta love people. Well, to make the day funnier than it was we were pulling into our parking lot and there were some kids riding their skate boards. We waved to them as they got out of our way. Then while in our apartment our intercom buzzed. "Hello?" I asked. Sister Roberts looked out the window to see who it was and saw that it was those same boys. They replied, "Why were you waving and blowing kisses at my friend." Sister Roberts and I bust out laughing. Pretty funny.
It's been great serving here so far. I got to see the Acorda family and Tammy Ward from my time in Beaumont again. Tammy's son Logan is YSA age so we stopped by to invite him to come. When Tammy opened the door she was so happy to see me. It's nice to feel loved. :)
Well, I wish I had more time, but know that I love you all. The Church is true and being a missionary is the best decision I've ever made.
Love Always,
Sister Thompson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment