Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 28, 2012

My Dearest Family and Friends,
Last week I mentioned the Mission Wide Fast we had. It was amazing. I loved the opportunity Sister White and I had to start and end our fasts with members. It has been such a blessing and already I can tell a difference (still no new investigators, but it will come soon I'm sure of it.) A scripture I read recently reminded me of the Mission Wide Fast and the importance of coming together as members and fasting for missionary work. It is found in Alma 6:6 "Nevertheless the children of God were commanded that they should gather themselves together oft, and join in fasting and mighty prayer in behalf of the welfare of the souls of those who knew not God." Pretty cool eh?
A member in our ward who does woodworking made Sister White and I bangles. :) They are pretty sweet. He has a really big shop and he showed us how he did it and had us sand them down. That was pretty sweet. I can now say that I know how to use a lathe. We got video and some pictures. Super legit! It also snowed a ton this week!!! Finally more of a Canadian winter. Sister White and I decided to load our shovels in the car and inbetween appointments shovel driveways and sidewalks. It was super cold!! But, this is the only time in my life that I'm really going to get the opportunity to shovel snow in -20 C and a skirt! Gotta love it. People probably think we're weird as they drive by. 'Who in their right mind shovels snow in a skirt?! Mormon Sister Missionaries, that's who! Good thing we're filled with the Spirit to keep us warm.' ;p The best quote from the week was Saturday. Sister White and I were talking about our success from the day. We got 6 lessons in a day (which is pretty legit in this mission and the most I've ever gotten in a day). Sister White said, "Six lessons and frost bite!" No worries, it was just super cold- no real frost bite.
We had District Meeting in Innisfail this week. It was our District Leader, Elder Hayward's last one. We decided to make it a good one. I was asked to do the Doctrinal Discussion on "Faith Proceeds the Miracle." One of my favorite insights from my study on the topic was from the Bible Dictionary. It says, "Faith in Jesus Christ is the first principle of the Gospel and is more than belief, since true faith always moves it's possesser to some kind of physical and mental action it carries an assurance of the fulfillment of the things hoped for." Faith truly is an action word and does come before a Miracle takes place. Through Indya's Baptism and my burned eye months ago, I have been able to really witness the miracles that come from Faith. No wonder Faith is the First Principle of the Gospel. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to study it a little more this week. After our meeting we had District Lunch at our Church. Homemade Pizza by Sister White. YUM!!! It was so good. We also had banana splits. Sister Stanford (who we live with) was so nice and bought us all the stuff to make everything. We had some Cool Whip so, I demonstrated our game of throwing it into the air and catching it in our mouth. We all went in the Gym to do it and had a good time. Some Elders were definitely better at it than others. Super Fun though!!! :)
I'd like to end with some insights from companionship study this last week. As Sister White and I were studying the Plan of Salvation, specifically Judgement, we came across this scripture;
"For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts." - D&C 137:9
We discussed this for a while and Sister White showed me a great quote by Elder Oaks;
"Let us remember that desires dictate our priorites, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addtition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something, whether a true friend, a gifted teacher, or one who has qualified for eternal life."
-Elder Dallin H. Oaks
What do we truly desire? If we desire the Kingdom of God, do our actions reflect that? This idea of desires has really inspired me. If I want to be a better missionary I must first truly desire it, make it a priority, and then choose to do those actions that will make me better. I encourage each of you to re-evaluate your actions. If there is anything you need to change, ask yourself, 'What do I desire to become?' I hope it is ultimately the best that you can be and to dwell with your Father in Heaven. I love you all. This is Christ's church. I am grateful I get the opportunity to share that truth with those around me.
Love Eternally,
Sister Leanna Thompson


No comments:

Post a Comment