Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25, 2013

To the greatest people in the world,

It's official. My last email I will ever send as a full time missionary. To be honest, I'm quite sad about it. I wish I could go home for a month and then come back. However, I am really excited about the future and all that it brings. I have very mixed feelings. This has definitely been the best decision I have ever made and I wouldn't change this experience for the world.

This last week was a great one. I'm going home wet! :) (Meaning I had a baptism right before I leave). I'm so grateful I got to be here for Bill's baptism. He has become a dear friend of mine and I would have been super sad had I missed it. His baptism was on Friday and it was fantastic. One of the best (although all baptisms are great!) I cried with joy. It was great to see him make that covenant. His baptism seemed to be in slow motion. He said, "I felt like I walked into the church with a pocket full of change and I just cashed it all in. I feel so much lighter." As he walked in after changing he was wearing a suit and tie. He looked so sharp and he was quite happy. I'm so excited that I've had the chance to help him in his journey back to Heavenly Father. He was confirmed a member of the Church on Sunday in Sacrament Meeting. Since it was my last week, our Branch President, President Henriksen, asked me to bear my testimony. Yep, I totally cried. I love this place! I love these people and I am truly going to miss them all! Sunday was also Cody Cressman's mission farewell. It was neat to see "the circle of life" as one missionary goes home another begins.

Another exciting thing from this week was exchanges! My last exchanges and they were in Red Deer with Sister Roberts!!!! IT WAS SO GREAT! The weather was pretty bad, but we made it there safely. It was great to work with Sister Roberts again. It was fun to see how much we've grown since we last served together, but also how close of friends we really are. I loved serving with her for the three transfers we had and I'm glad I got to serve with her one more time. We had a good time tracting together. We decided to do harvesting one last time together and we had some great visits with people. We had a 30 minute conversation with a young couple whom were interested. John and Ploy were their names. They were so sincere and so nice to visit with. It's moments like that, that make doing this so worth it. I was sad to know that I wouldn't see them again, and not just because I wouldn't be in Red Deer, but that I wouldn't be in Canada. :( So bittersweet. This exchange, however, helped me realize how many wonderful people there are and how I've gained so many new friends. Sister Roberts will definitely be a friend forever.

In companionship inventory at the end of weekly planning I asked Sister Bunker, "How can I help you?" Her reply, "By not going home." ha ha ha I'm really going to miss her. She's amazing! Oh, transfer calls came. I decided to just let Sister Bunker answer the phone since I already knew my fate. President Campbell told Sister Bunker, "I know we already talked about what would be happening this transfer (her training), but I figured we'd throw a curve ball. We're sending a couple of Sisters to Yellowknife!" (Those of you who don't know, Yellowknife is super far north. Salt Lake City is closer to Edmonton then Yellowknife is.) President Campbell was just teasing though. Then he said, "Tell Sister Thompson I don't know who her new companion will be, but I'm sure he'll be great!" :) We got a pretty good laugh. :)

One last funny story. Saturday night we were driving back to our apartment and there was a car in front of us at the light. I was confused because it looked like the person in the front and passenger seats were waving at us, "Why are they waving at us?" I asked Sister Bunker. Her reply, "Sister Thompson. It's two dogs." Ha ha ha I hadn't noticed that there were dogs in the car and I was super confused why people would be waving at us. We got a great laugh out of that. :)

I just want to end with a short piece of my testimony. I know that this church is the Church of Jesus Christ on the earth once more. I know that this Gospel changes lives. I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet and that President Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet today. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know that we will see our loved ones again. I know that the Atonement is real! It's True! I know it, I live it, I love it!

Well, to all the Canadians reading this- I love you! Farewell! Remember, it is not goodbye, just see you later. To my family and friends back home- I love you and will see you very soon! God Speed!

Love Always,
The one, the only, Sister Thompson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment