Monday, October 17, 2011

October 11, 2011

Dearest Family and Friends,

I'm here! Canada is wonderful. This past week went by so quickly. My Pdays are on Mondays, but because of the holiday yesterday (Canada Thanksgiving) we didn't get to email home until now. There is SO much I want to tell you all about so, I will try and get as much in this email as possible.
My first area is Beaumont and I am serving with the wonderful, amazing, fantastic Sister Jones. She is from Vernal Utah! We are actually white-washing this area. We are the first sisters to serve in this area in about 3 years! (No pressure right?) The last baptism this ward has seen was back in January too. So our goal is 3 by the end of the year. Wish us luck (pray for us please!). I met my first real investigator. She is in her 30's, has two daughters two and six months, her husband is Hindu and she is from India. Some Sisters from the Millwoods YSA area tracted her out and passed her on to us. We stopped by her house about an hour after getting my new area and companion and visited with her. Her daughters are so cute and I want more than anything for them to have the blessings of the gospel in their lives. This investigator is interested in learning more, but doesn't always have time to meet because of her husband's work schedule. She has a Christian background and her husband is supportive of whatever she does.
Later that night we stopped by the member families house for dinner. As they were serving us dessert one of the kids asked me, "Is that too much?" I replied with, "Go big or go home! But don't go home big!" Everyone laughed and that has become Me and Sister Jones' new motto. :) After dinner we walked back to our car. As we were driving away I noticed someone moving stuff from their house to their car. I had the feeling we should turn around and go back. I mentioned it to Sister Jones and she turned around. We parked the car about a block or so away and walked back to the house. As we did so another car pulled up and a man got out. We approached them and started talking to them. I told them we were representatives of Jesus Christ and that we'd like to share a message with them. One of the guys mentioned that he has been looking for a church. We got some of his information, invited him to church and left a card with him. I was on fire after that. My first street contacting! It felt so great! I just wanted to talk to everyone at that point.
We have another investigator that the Elders were teaching before. We had scheduled to meet her the next day so we decided to pray about and discuss what day we should ask her to be baptized. We were deciding between Oct. 29th and Nov. 5th, but we decided on Oct. 29th. In our prayers I asked Heavenly Father to bless something to happen or let us know if Nov. 5th is the date we should go with. Well, the next day we got a phone call from her. She had to cancel because her kids were sick. we rescheduled and invited her to come to church. She said she'd be out of town for Thanksgiving so she couldn't. We hung up the phone and I was so excited. I turned to Sister Jones and said, "Our prayer was answered. We're supposed to invite her to get baptized on Nov. 5th." Sister Jones was so surprised by my reaction to our investigator cancelling a lesson on us. She thought it was great that I could have a positive attitude :).
There are so many people I wish I could talk about all of them, but I will for sure in more letters or emails.
We went tracting (we call it finding) for my first time! It was so much fun! We knocked on a lot of doors and got some people who were semi-interested and others definitely were not. One Baptist told us that if we wanted to argue we were totally welcome to come in, but other than that he didn't want to talk to us. We asked if he knew anyone that would be interested. He said he didn't but if he did he wouldn't recommend them to us. Sister Jones said to-sha', (don't know how to spell it but it means like dido) and we said goodbye. As we were walking away she said, "Did I really say that out loud?" (Referring to the to-sha'). We laughed about it. We also found a house that the doormat said "Go Away". No one was home, but I took a picture :). The best part was we tracted into another potential investigator. She used to go to Young Women's with her friend when she was younger and invited us in to visit with her. She is pretty much golden. She is married and has a nine month old daughter. we are meeting with her later today :). We can't wait.
During companionship prayer Saturday night we decided to fast for our investigators. Sister Jones gave the prayer and it was very long. So long that I actually fell asleep. Sister Jones ended the prayer and looked over at me. I guess subconsciencly I noticed she stopped talking and I woke up and said, "Amen!" It was pretty funny. I have a problem with falling asleep. During Sacrament Meeting I fell asleep during a baby blessing. Stay tuned to find out where in the world Sister Thompson will fall asleep next.
The best part of the week (besides testifying of the Savior of course) is that Beaumont has a 43rd Ave and when the Millwoods Sisters and us went to Denny's for lunch our total came to $43.43. Coincidence? I think not!! :) Best ever!!!
Oh yeah- facts about Canada. Canada has roughly 2 million lakes! Crazy eh? Also, you have to buy your own grocery bags and you have to pay to use a cart. Weird.
Thanks for everything! I love all of you so much!!! The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored and we're so blessed to have this knowledge.

Love, your favorite Sister Leanna Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment