Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sept. 21, 2011

P-Day couldn't come faster ;) (Actually it came quite fast now that I think of it. I can't believe I've already been here a week! One down, many to go, but don't worry, I'm not counting.)
So, my time is limited. We only have 30 minutes to be on the computer. I will try and type as much as I can.

First off, WOW!!!! The MTC is Awesome!  Our first night we were in workshops where we got to meet 3 different investigators. If we wanted we had the opportunity to talk with them in front of the group too. Arnold was our first investigator and he talked about how he was angry with God for taking his wife away from him. Well, my heart started pounding and I felt this overwhelming love and hurt for him. I couldn't contain it, so in front of about a hundred other missionaries I raised my hand and bore testimony that Arnold will see his wife again, that through our Savior Jesus Christ the bands of death have been broken and we can live with our family forever. He looked me in the eye and said, "I've met a lot of people in my life and I can tell when someone doesn't really believe what they are saying. You however, have this confidence in your eyes. I can tell that you honestly believe that to be true." And I do! I know that families can be together forever. That's why I'm out here. I want everyone to know this.

During our first District meeting we didn't have a whole lot of direction. A lot of the Elders were focused on the logistics of getting the investigators we were talking about home so we could meet with them. This went on for like 10 minutes and finally I spoke up and said, "That is all important, but let's focus on what we'll actually teach them." We tried to focus more, but still the Elders just weren't grasping it. So, I got up in front of the class and said, "I'm an investigator, teach me the Plan of Salvation." After this exercise I had everyone go over what went well and what we could improve. One Elder commented, "Too bad Sisters can't be the District Leader. You're an awesome teacher Sister Thompson." The Elders and Sisters continue to compliment me on how amazing I am. WHICH IS SUPER FRUSTRATING. I actually find it really annoying. I know I am not perfect and I have come to understand even in the past week that speaking Eloquently doesn't make you a good missionary. IT IS ABOUT TEACHING BY THE SPIRIT. I'm sure all of you know how much I love to talk and give my imput, well I have set a new goal. To talk less! It has been such a struggle. Especially since my Companion Sister Lambert is not confident in talking at all and continutes to tell me that I should just lead the lessons. What a blessing and challenge it has been to hold my tongue and all the other missionaries to say something so that ultimately they learn.

Elder Russell M. Nelson came to our Tuesday Devotional which was really neat. Sorry I don't have more time to tell you about it. I have to wrap things up. 

I love you all so much!!!! The Church is true, the Book of Mormon is the Word of God and we do have a living prophet today. Good Luck and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Love, Sister Leanna Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment