Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012

Dear Loved ones,
A lot of new stuff this week. I had my first official week of being Senior Companion and it is definitely a responsibility. I'm responsible to make sure we are being as effective as possible, that we get appointments, and that we're out of lessons on time until Sister Atkinson knows the area more. It's been fun to rise to the challenge. I am sure going to miss Sister White. She really helped me grow and it was a wonderful time serving with her. I'm excited to serve with Sister Atkinson. We are both short blonds so that makes it fun. Already we've had some pretty great laughs and great teaching moments. I'm so excited for what this transfer brings. Wish me luck!
Monday we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows with the Darby's. They are so wonderful. We were nervous that it was going to rain, but it held out on us. Tuesday was full of goodbyes and a few lessons. We were able to meet with Lindsay and finish teaching the Plan of Salvation. She is doing so well. She invited a less active friend who just moved into the ward to join and we had a great discussion. Her daughter Jade (4) calls us her "Teachers" and said to her friend that was visiting, "Do you want to come to church with me? It's really fun." Look at her, a 4 year old doing missionary work and it was so natural. If she can do it anyone can do it. (Invite a friend to church this week everyone!!!) ;)
Wednesday morning plans changed. We were supposed to meet the Lacombe sisters and then Sister Milburn and White would go to transfer meeting and Sister Heo and I were to stay in Lacombe for the morning. Well, there was no way that we could fit both Sister White and Milburn's stuff in one car. We pushed, and shoved, and pushed, and squeezed, but no success. We were even tempted to tie stuff to the roof. We had to call the Assistants and get approval to take two cars. Sister Heo and I were elated when they said we could go. So, all the sisters were at transfer meeting except for Drayton Valley (Jones and Wotherspoon). It was sad to say goodbye to Sister Kafu and Jankowski who went home. It's crazy how quickly missions go. After transfer meeting we went to Ihop with a bunch of missionaries. It was great to see other missionaries. That night Sister Atkinson and I got to teach the Activity Days Girls about missionary work. It was really fun to work with them and help them practice telling their friends about the gospel.
Sadly, however, I found out that Sister Nagel (who we visited at the old folks place in the hospital every week) passed away today. It was very sad to hear, but I know she isn't suffering anymore.
Saturday we had a full day of finding in Penhold (part of our area). It was actually quite successful. We got to talk to a lot of different people and two of them invited us back. We're hoping to meet with them this week. I love tracting. (Sometimes it's hard to motivate myself to do it, but after I do, I love it!!!!) I love the opportunity I get to testify to so many people about the gospel. Plus, it's exciting to see if they accept or reject what we say. Yesterday at church, Sister Kirkpatrick in the ward felt really weak and and almost fainted in Relief Society. People were asking everyone if they had apple juice and no one did. I mentioned that I had some at home so we rushed home to get some for her. She is doing a lot better, but it was pretty scary for a while there. After church Sister Teskey (her husband, Patrick, is Catholic and is the most active non-member in the ward. He has a calling in scouting and comes to Sacrament meeting every Sunday- even if she can't make it.) came up to us and told us that Patrick had some questions about the pre-earth life because of some things that were mentioned at a camp out. She asked him if she wanted us to come by and he agreed. So we went over and taught him the first half of the plan of salvation. He made it clear that he is not converting, but just wanting to understand what we believe. Bishop gave him a triple combination a couple weeks ago and we gave him a Gospel Principles book. It was a really good lesson and he loves us (the missionaries). We have a great relationship with him and he invited us to come back and finish the plan of salvation. It's so exciting. I know he will gain a testimony for himself, it will probably just take time for him to accept it all.
I love the following quote (if I have already shared it, forgive me. Maybe I was supposed to share it twice.)
"Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up their friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life."
-President Ezra Taft Benson
The church is true. The Gospel can and does change lives. Our Savior did live again and because He lives, each of us can live again. Families are forever. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. We have a living prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson. Following the commandments brings happiness in this life and eternal life in the life to come. Live the Gospel. Love the Gospel. Share the Gospel.
I love you all!
Love Eternally,
Sister Thompson
Pictures, Pictures, I'm sure you want some pictures. P I C T U R E S!!!!! (I wish you could hear me singing about pictures.)
Sister White and Thompson roasting hot dogs (it was weird wearing jeans)

Me with my new companion Sister Atkinson! :)

The Sisters of the Canada Edmonton Mission! (Just missing Sister Jones and Wotherspoon).

Gotta love Friends and Family! - Sister Heo and Thompson at IHop

No comments:

Post a Comment